Friday, June 26, 2009

Quick Praline Bars

When I was younger, I loved to go to 4-H camp. I went to North Central 4-H camp in Kentucky. I went there as a camper, teen leader, and then worked for 2 years on staff as crafts instructor while I was in college. One of my fondest memories is a snack that we had called Jean's toffee bars. They were so good! Well, yesterday I found a similar recipe on the Weight Watchers message boards and made some for my kids snack. They were eaten before I even got a picture. I used low fat graham crackers and peanuts because that was all I had on hand. Here is the recipe. I hope you enjoy.

Quick Praline Bars
24 graham cracker squares
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange graham crackers in a single layer on an ungreased jelly roll pan. Heat brown sugar and margarine to boiling in a 2-quart saucepan. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour sugar mixture over graham crackers, spread evenly. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake 8-10 minutes or until bubbly, cool slightly, before serving.
Yield: 24 bars
per bar: 95 calories, 6 grams fat
Source: Betty Crocker's Healthy New Choices Cookbook

No comments: