Wednesday, April 29, 2009

MomAdvise Notebook Experiement-Who Bread: White vs.Wheat


Bread 1: Bread Flour

Bread 2: All-purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour

So, I decided to give the Mom Advise Notebook Experiments a try. Amy has a notebook where she list all kinds of great ideas she finds online. Many of them are projects that I really want to do. I've looked through her past notebooks and have booked marked lots of things to try. So, I'll be back for the weekly experiments. I really like how Amy makes them look like an experiment when she post them, so hopefully she won't mind if I do mine the same. I got a bread machine with our income tax refund this year and I love it. Although I still have a lot to learn! This is the first recipe we tried and really love, Low-Fat Bread Machine Italian Bread . I was really excited to try a different one.

Experiment: Can I make Who (pronounced hooo, like an owl) bread and will my kids and husband will still like it if I substitute 1 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the bread flour?


Experiment taken from: Notebook Entry 02.14.07

Materials needed: Here's the recipe that I used from SouleMama.

WHO Bread
(makes 1.5 lb loaf, set to 'basic' with medium crust)
1 1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons butter @ room temperature
1 tsp salt
3 cups of flour (we do 2 cups unbleached white, 1 cup whole wheat pastry)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (or, one package)
Add ingredients to pan in order listed according to bread machine instructions.

Makes 1.5 lb loaf, set to medium crust and basic.

Makes 10 servings

Results:
Part 1: The first loaf we made was with just the bread flour. This bread rose quite a bit in my machine and looked more like a 2 lb loaf. I was worried that my lid would come off of the top of my machine, but it did not. I thought maybe I did something wrong, but I followed the instructions exactly! So, I thought? After rereading the recipe, it called for plain flour and not the bread flour, which is probably what made it rise more. My kids ate the bread fine and said they liked it okay. I liked it.

Part 2: The second loaf I made was the one that I substituted 1 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the white flour. Now why would I want to do this? Well, first it is healthier for my kids and second since being on Weight Watchers, I noticed that using the whole wheat flour lowered my points sometimes and after running the recipe through the recipe builder (you have to be an e-tools subscriber to get this service) on the Weight Watchers Website, I found that it did indeed lower it by one point. If it tasted just as good, that was the one I wanted to use. The bread rose more like it was suppose too since I used the all-purpose flour. (I did not have any unbleached white.) The top fell, but the results were that my bread's crust was crispier and the bread really did taste better to me than the first one I tried. But how did my kids like it? Well, my oldest one said it's okay. I asked him what he did not like about it and he said it taste like wheat. The others are 4 years old and 2 years old and basically they will eat warm bread with butter on it.


Conclusion: Well, I guess my kids will eat the bread with the wheat in it, although they seem to like the white flour bread better. My dh and my 9 year old refuse to eat wheat bread. I don't have any other answers as to how to get them to eat healthier and to eat wheat. Personally, I liked the second one and if I make this bread again, that will be the one I choose. This however is not my first pick for my favorite bread.
~
For more experiments go here.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Hi! I really enjoy the recipes you post, and thought I'd share one of my new favorites with you! I made this shrimp recipe (from EatingWell.com) last night: http://hagensnest.blogspot.com/2009/04/shrimpy-goodness.html

WW points and nutrition facts included! Thanks for posting your menu Mondays - they are really helpful!

Nicholette said...

I'm so glad to hear how you liked the two different breads. I made something with wheat flour once, can't remember what it was, did not turn out. I thought it was because of the wheat. I was trying to be healthier. Anyway, thanks for the recepie! I'll have to try it.

staskym said...

i LOVE to make my own bread i also use my machine just to knead my bread some times. any who you might want to try King Arthur's White Wheat flour that is what i use and point value is a little lower then if you use just white bread my kids like it A LOT better then the wheat too.

Michelle said...

Try subbing in less whole wheat flour next time. Then, gradually, over about a dozen loaves, work back up to the original. Chances are good they won't notice. If they do, say "what are you talking about, same recipe as last time!"

This sneaky trick has worked in our house for several things. Never for brown rice though. Boo.