Some Lighter Cookie Tips
1. Replace 1/2 the fat of any cookie recipe with an equivalent amount of unsweetened applesauce or mashed ripe banana. Then double the amount of vanilla or other spices in the recipe.
2. When you use low-fat buttermilk, use cake flour rather than all-purpose for more tender cakes.
3. Always cream butter or shortening for at least 2 minutes in the mixer at medium speed. More tender cookies have more air beaten into the batter. However, once you add the flour...never use a mixer. Use a wooden spoon just til moistened. (You don't want the glutens to get stiff.)
4. If a recipe calls for two whole eggs, use 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites; if it calls for 3 whole eggs, use 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites.
5. Replace walnuts, pecans, and hazelnuts with pine nuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds.
Come back Friday as I start the Twlelve Days Of Christmas Cookies Series. You won't want to miss all of the low point cookies!