Friday, July 11, 2008

Favorite Ingredients Friday


I LOVE Onion Rings and finding a Weight Watchers substitute has been hard because I started with the wrong recipe. I ate the Hungry Girl ones, but my dh hated the Fiber One as a breading. I have to admit, these are so much better!!! I love the dipping sauce! It really does taste like the "bloomin' onion" sauce. When I went to Applebees(pre Weight Watchers), I used to have a Burger that had onion peels and the dipping sauce on the burger, I think it was called the cowboy burger. Well, last night, I had some of my dipping sauce and onion rings on my Boca Burger instead of Mayo and it was super yummy!
~
Onion Rings with Dipping Sauce
2 large sweet onions
1/3 c. dried breadcrumbs
1/4 c. egg substitute
2 T. flour
1/4 t. salt
pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400. Spray a baking sheet with Pam. Peel onions, and slice into 1/2” thick slices. Separate into double rings.Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a paper bag. Put breadcrumbs into another bag. Pour egg substitute into a shallow bowl. Coat each double ring in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.Place on baking sheet and spray tops with Pam. Bake about 10 minutes, turn, and bake 5 minutes longer.
Serves 4 at 1 Weight Watchers Point

Dipping Sauce (Blooming Onion Sauce)
1/4 c. FF mayo or Miracle Whip
1 t. catsup
1 t. horseradish
1/8 t. paprika
1/8 t. salt
Dash oregano Dash black pepper Dash Cayenne pepper Whisk all ingredients together until well blended. Chill before serving.
Serves 1 at 1 Weight Watchers Point
For more great recipes go to Overwhelmed With Joy!

2 comments:

Overwhelmed! said...

Oooh, I love onion rings as well. Thanks for sharing this healthier version. I'm going to try the dipping sauce as well!

Thanks for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange! I do appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! I'm saving your site because I'm starting back on my weight loss journey and you have so many good ideas on here!